Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's the small things...

Tiny, isn't it? You'd think that something so small and seemingly insignificant would not cause anything more than a little excitement and monetary greed, right?

Wrongo Bongo!

This tiny little speck of a tooth has been hanging around in one 7 year old mouth for about two weeks now. Getting wiggly and more snaggly looking every day. Lately it's gotten so bad it almost looked like it was sticking out sideways. I could barely get a finger on it to test wiggle it before the 7 year old mouth would start whimpering and pull away.

Finally today I could take it no more. I decreed it was time to Get. It. Out. I promised a TV show and lovies to snuggle for the ordeal. I promised cake when it was all over. Half giggling, half whimpering she agreed.

First we had to get set up. Lovies, check. Blanket, check. TV show on and started at the right spot, check. Mouth open, whimper. I finally was allowed to get a grip on it with a dish cloth and did a few test wiggles. Squawk went the mouth. A little push. More squawking. Squirming. Resettling. Squirming. The thing was so loose I was surprised it was still hanging there. I gave a tug. Screaming. Crying. Mouth wide open crying.

That's when I saw the tooth sitting on her tongue.

I plucked it off and started whooping and cheering and she cried even harder. Wait. What?! It's out! Time to celebrate! "What's wrong?" I finally asked her.

"I don't kn--oooo--ooww!"

I'd like to say here that I was a kind, understanding mom who didn't laugh at her daughter's dismay. I can't. I laughed. Then I hugged her tight and just let her cry. All that bottled up fear and anxiety about that tiny little bit of nothing, suddenly released, like a balloon that pops too loudly and unexpectedly.

Once she finally calmed down, she was excited and raced off to look at the gory hole in her mouth. Little Sis raced off to get the tooth box for the Tooth Fairy. She's one to keep her eye on the prize.

Best of all? She got a big fat piece of cake. Before dinner.

Proving it really is the small things in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment